Monday, July 23, 2012

DIY Prom!

I knew that for my senior prom I wouldn't be satisfied with something generic and I DEFINITELY wasn't going to have a copy-cat dress so I decided I was going to craft my own! I didn't start from scratch because I didn't make this decision until about a week before prom. I found the dress at Goodwill for $10 and then got to cutting! It really wasn't too much work to make this one of a kind, all I had to do was cut out the back and hem it to make it clean and even. the dress originally was a halter so I cut the halter straps to make the corset loops on either side of the back. I sewed buttons into the front to bring the corset strings over the shoulders and make straps. The dress was originally an 8 or something and I wear 2 or 4, but with the corset it fit, plus I detached the bow from its original spot and brought it up higher and used it to make the hip of the dress tighter. I put a petti-skirt underneath to add volume and had it steamed. Total net cost, because I already had most of the materials, was about $50, and it was a HUGE success at prom!


Also the couple we went with to prom did the Stuck On Prom Duct Tape Challenge! Everything she and he are wearing is made of Duct Tape, even his hat, pants, and her purse.


No comments:

Post a Comment